Gray DI’s Curricular Efficiency Workshop uses data on course-level revenue, cost, margin, and instructional workloads collected in the Contribution Margin Analysis tool to identify high cost, low margin, or redundant courses. In a facilitated workshop, faculty and administrators review the course data and use their judgement to identify opportunities to reduce or re-deploy instructional staff. The data may also be used on an ongoing basis to inform budgets and course schedules.
Sample Workshop Agenda
- Present workshop objectives
- Share program economics approach and findings
- Option: Facilitate Exercises: Assign Breakout groups to “Find $500,000 annual savings.” Assign actual cost reduction to departments, using PES+ Economics, after the workshop
- Option: Identify and agree on practical opportunities to increase curricular efficiency and reduce cost
- Wrap-up: Agree on next steps to achieve efficiencies